Monday, June 18, 2007

Good Business Yoga

When in business, if you look after the concerns of others
As your own -- your business will prosper
Section 14: Kural 120

The seller should put himself in the position of the buyer.
And the buyer should put himself in the position of the seller

You can be a very good business person and also a good Yogi who does fair business. If you’re the seller, just think how would you want to buy something? You would want to buy a very clean product that’s worth the money you pay. The seller should think, “I'm honestly giving a clean product and it’s worth the price.” The buyer should be thinking, "I'm not here to get away with a steal. I should pay a fair price. After all, the seller had to take time to go far to get the product and then present it to me at my convenience. Otherwise, I’d have to go to the manufacturer myself. So, I should pay the seller the price he paid plus some of his overhead expenses, plus a little profit to continue his business.”

During my business period I used to clearly explain what’s behind the price: Parts ‑ this much; Labor - this much; My profit -- this much.” You can even explain the profit: My overhead (rent, electricity, telephone, labor, etc.) - this much.” These I've paid already including. labor and overhead expenses. This percentage is for my profit. This is the total; take it or leave it.

You’re not interested in robbing anyone, and at the same time you’re not interested in losing money because you also should grow. Sometimes there’s a rainy day. There will be a certain month business will be low, maybe not even enough to cover your overhead expenses. Think on all these things before you fix a price. Then explain it clearly if customers want to know. It might take awhile to build your business that way. But once your customers know that you’re that honest, they’ll never go anywhere else.

Once the saint Ramakrishna saw that one of his students, a very humble disciple at the time in charge of the kitchen, had gone to the market and bought a wok. “How much did you pay?” asked Ramakrishna.

“Ten rupees, sir.”

“How much did he ask?”

“He asked ten rupees."

“You just paid ten rupees? Didn't bargain at all with him?”

"No, sir, I thought it was the right price.”

“How do you know that? Is the money from your pocket? It's Ashram money. You are doing business. Go back. Bargain a little. Say that our people say it's too much. I can give you only 5 rupees.”

And he went back, bargained a little and the buyer and seller agreed on a price of seven rupees. He came back with three rupees. That's good. That's also yoga. There's nothing wrong in asking for a lower price. If you don't ask, you don't get.

A Yogi should respect everybody and everything – including money. Respect your dollars. In India there are festivals, auspicious occasions where devotees put bundles of currencies and coins on the altar and worship God as the goddess Lakshmi in the form of money. There’s nothing wrong in it. Money is also God in a different form of energy. If you don't respect it, it won't come to you.

Sometimes I see people getting change, coins and currency. They just grab it and crush it together like a rag you’d throw in the trash bin. Then they tuck it below by their buttocks. What kind of respect for money is that? Instead, take it and fold it neatly. When I receive some dollars, immediately I see if the corners are dog-eared. I straighten them up, put them together all the head all one side, fold it well and then put it in the pocket. I respect money. And the money knows. It's happy to come to you if you respect it. If you treat it in a rough way, “Oh, what kind of person is he who doesn't even know my worth.”

Nowadays pockets are low. But it’s good to carry your money next to the heart. See everything as manifestations of the same cosmic energy and treat it and respect it all properly; this is Yoga.

Selected from Sri Swami Satchidananda’s Commentaries on the Tirrukural
For the entire book, contact Integral Yoga Publications 434/969-3121

No comments: