Monday, June 18, 2007

What's the Use of your Education

What profit is there from learning and scholarship
If it does not lead you to the feet of the divine
Section 1 Kural 2

What is the use of your education if you are not going to realize God and use your life for the service of humanity in the name of God? This is the purpose of education. This is real education. Examinations and grades are not that important. They have their part, but keeping the mind well balanced is the most important. Learn the lessons well, but not with the intention of competing with anybody. Even your studying can be a sort of meditation. Don't even worry about grades. Just ask yourself: "Am I studying well? Am I getting the essence? Am I getting the knowledge?" You study for the knowledge, not for the grade.

Grading itself sometimes degrades the education
. Everybody is equal, but not all will have the same capacity. You do to your capacity; that's all. In a way there are no two human beings one hundred percent similar. So forget all this competition. Keep your mind calm and say, "I am doing all I can. I am learning to get knowledge so that I can equip myself for future service to humanity and that's my goal in studying. Not to make money or to do anything else. I am simply equipping myself to serve humanity better.”

This will keep your mind calm and serene. This will turn your studying into sadhana, spiritual practice. Whenever you are doing anything in the name of service to humanity, it becomes sadhana; it becomes Karma Yoga, selfless service – including all your studies.

Even when you eat, you can feel, "I am eating to gain enough pure energy to serve people.” Then your eating also becomes Karma Yoga. You’re not eating for your sake. It might seem like you’re eating for your stomach. But who ultimately gets the benefit? Others. A car gets polished, a lube job, a full tank of gas -- but for whose sake? For the car? No, for the owner who uses the car. In this way, you keep yourself, your vehicle, in good shape. Put in the proper fuel. Have the lube job done well. Don't let your radiator boil over.

In the same way, education is to equip yourself to serve others. That’s real education.

Selected from Sri Swami Satchidananda’s Commentaries on the Tirrukural
For the entire book, contact Integral Yoga Publications 434/969-3121

No comments: